Friday, June 5, 2020

The search - Vallejo equivalents for the Coat d'arms paints

I'm working on the Coat d'arms WWII German colours again and how they might translate to or from the excellent Vallejo colours which seem to be a standard for painting tutorials. Mostly because the Vallejo range are really nice paints.

I do have the Coat d'arms German paint set and they paint nicely so I wanted to work out the best uses for them. I've had a bit of a scour through Mick Farnworths book "Modelling and Painting World War II German Military Figures" and he has suggestions for what Vallejo paint to use where as well as a handy swatch chart. I've used this and a bit of eyeballing as well as the suggestions in the Coat d'arms download on the Black Hat website.

Here are my suggestions.

102 Black              - Black 70.950
227 Field Grey       - German Field Grey 70.830
503 Military Green - Luftwaffe Camo. Green 70.823
505 Green Grey     - German Dark Grey 70.995
515 Black Green    - German Extra Dark Green 70.896
516 Iron Grey        - German Dark Grey 70.995
518 Field Blue        - Luftwaffe Uniform 70.816
521 Army Green     - German Dark Green 70.979
525 Uniform Grey   - Light Grey 70.990
533 Slate Grey       - London Grey 70.836

I have another couple of posts further back in the blog with some suggestions for what they could be used for but i'd never got around to doing this bit till now.

Tuesday, June 2, 2020

Paint lids failing.

I have some elderly Coat d'arms paint pots which I've started using again. Unfortunately a combination of age and the crusty paint under the lid is causing the lids to split as I open them. Luckily I'd purchased some dropper bottles for mixing paints for the airbrush and I'm pressing them into service. I had been looking for a tiny funnel before I had a lightbulb moment. A sauce bottle lid works perfectly.

I’ve started transferring the paint and happily the old label peeled off and has been taped to the new bottle.

Saturday, May 30, 2020

20mm plastic figures and PVA.

One of the potential problems of using the really fine 1/72 polyethylene figures is that of paint flaking off in use because of their flexibility.  Historically probably more of a problem with enamel paints which aren't as flexible as the more modern acrylics. This may be a worse problem if they're based, or not, in a way that encourages touching the figures with your fingers.

I do prime any figures that I paint usually with black although I've experimented with other colours, brown and gray for example. I have read quite a few articles, there's one here on the Baueda site, where people swear by using watered down PVA as a base layer before painting. So I thought It would be an interesting experiment to give it a go on a unit of Revell Winter Germans I was painting up to be based for Crossfire.


I'm trying a couple of different things here. Holding the figures as you paint is a bit of an issue with figures this small and in the past i have used a small stick with 6 figures PVA'd to it. This is a problem if you're trying to get at the side of a figure so my solution stolen from the world of airbrushing is to use small nails with the figures glued to them. A bit of board with drill holes provides a place to dry.

My biggest concern was losing detail but the PVA seems to shrink a bit and was also watered down lightly. Simply applied with an old craft brush. An interesting side effect on the brush was it stripped any old paint sticking to the bristles.

I'll let them dry overnight and will see what they look like in the morning.