1. if your egg is not kept at room temperature allow it to get to room temp.
2. get clean fresh water in a smallish pot for one egg, a dash of white vinegar and a pinch of salt to the boil, reduce to simmer, you want it just ticking over with steady bubbles coming to the surface
3. sit toast in the toaster, not on yet
4. swirl the water with a spoon so its going around when the egg goes in
5. break your egg into the water placing it in as close to the surface as possible
6. toast down
7. when the toast comes up, egg should be done to soft medium
8. scoop the egg out with a slotted implement, drain